Gas installation is without a doubt not the type of task that should be done by a first timer, especially if you plan on doing it yourself. The possible risks that could arise while doing this kind of installation can lead to some pretty serious physical injuries. Having a gas line installed in your home is better left for a professional and you should make sure to call one.
If in any case, that you do know how to install these things yourself, it is best to proceed with caution and always make sure to research and revert to any kind of training material that could be available online. Otherwise, a plumber will be a better person to call.
Here are some steps on how to install a gas line in Calgary:
- Buy the right materials – In any kind of job, it is important to have the right kind of materials to ensure that you do not make any mistakes. Before installing gas pipes into your home, make sure to buy the right pipes and ensure that they are at the right size and fit. These pipes must be at least ½ inches or approximately 1.27 cm. Pipes may vary, depending on where you will be installing your pipe, but this is the normal size. These kinds of materials can be found in any hardware store.
- Make sure to turn off the gas – When installing a gas line, always make sure to turn off the gas in your home. This can usually be found in the basement or outside of your home, or depending on where you placed it. It is always important to make sure that this is turned off, because failure to close it before taking out and installing any pipes, can lead to serious injury and explosions.
- Extend and attach – When you have bought the right materials and made sure that you have the right size and fit for installation, attach the new pipes to your existing gas pipes and extend it with electrical tape or glue. Be sure to make sure that it is firmly inside the extension of your old pipeline to avoid any possibilities of leaks. To make things easier, you can also extend your pipe to those easy to reach areas like in your garage or kitchen so that you do not have a problem when trying to turn it on.
- Connect – when you have firmly connected one to the other, you may now connect the end of your new pipe to the end of your gas line. Using glue or electrical tape securely attach the pipe to the hole found in your gas line. In some cases, if you will be attaching your gas line to any appliances that you may have in your home, it will be very seldom that you will need tape or glue to attach and secure it to your appliance, but if you feel more comfortable with securing it into your appliance, then make sure that it does not have any holes or cracks to avoid leaks.
- Avoiding leaks – to make sure that you do not have a leak in your newly installed pipe extension, try to mix water with 1:1 part soap or dish liquid and apply on each side of the gas pipe, if you find that while doing this, bubbles appear, you have a leak. You can reattach with a brand new piece of tape, just make sure that you firmly secure the tape on to the pipe to make sure that there are no leaks.